Thursday, June 9, 2011

Finally!

It's here! It's here! the last day of school! I don't know who is happier: the teachers or the students. It has been a challenging year for me. Last year I volunteered to teach a Z Block class this year. We are on a three block daily schedule so Z block is considered an extended day period at the end of the day after the "normal" release time of 2:30. the Z block is only 50 minutes long. I thought, "How hard could this be? Not even an hour added to my day." Well, I found out just how hard this was. One of the most difficult things about Z block is that it IS only 50 minutes. I have been teaching at this school for 3 years now and have become VERY accustomed to the longer block periods (95 min.) and have tailored my lesson plans to that time allotment. By the time the kids in my Z block get all seated and have their materials ready, we are already down 5 minutes. I just don't feel like I'm actually getting anything done in 45 minutes. Granted, I have the kids all year instead of a semester, (I know, the schedule is confusing) and we have followed the curriculum calendar but I never feel I can get to anything in depth like I do the rest of my classes. the good thing about the class is that the students who had the class ended the year ahead in credits because they had four classes instead of three.
And I had no idea how exhausted I would be after teaching just 50 minutes longer each day! When you get up at 5:30 everyday, 2:30 is a nice time to end. I felt it especially with the recovery from my surgery in December. Most days I have made it home by 5:00 because I carpool and live 1/2 hour away from the campus. I spend an hour after that sleeping in my chair to get a second wind, and then I am OUT by 10:00, asleep, dead to the world.
Needless to say I DID NOT volunteer for a Z block next year. I am really looking forward to getting out of here by 2:30 every day. And I am not carpooling so I will be on my own time schedule and hopefully I will be home by 3:30 every day.
One of my students just asked me if I was going to party all summer. My response was "Any day I don't have to get up at 5:30 is a party!"
I'll try and keep everyone posted on my summer projects, vacation travels, etc...
Till then...I am anxious for this day to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment