Monday, January 17, 2011

It's been a while...

Well, it's been some time since I posted. Sorry. I wanted to post on a weekly basis but I took some time away to have a surgery and then the beginning of the new semester came along and before I knew it...well, here I am, 3 weeks later.
I have had quite a bit of "down time" since my surgery. Watched T.V., did some reading, and got some sewing done...more about that later. But I have noticed a trend in the past couple of years regarding T.V. and the ads companies put out. It seems like anything is acceptable now. Many ads are just disgusting and some just make me grind my teeth.
The ad that first comes to mind is the one I have seen repeatedly for Gain Detergent. It starts with a man, Bob, getting dressed in his bedroom in the morning. He is joyous as he puts on his clean shirt, smelling it all over. The announcer comes on and says, "Bob couldn't have it much gooder..." and then the announcer goes on to tell how fresh his clothes smell, etc... Really? Gooder? Maybe it's just me, I do teach English, but don't these companies know that there is no such word as "gooder"? Please! What moron in that advertising agency, not to mention the announcer himself, the company ad exec that approved the ad, the copywriter and a host of people listening to the ad BEFORE it ever got to T.V. didn't know that there is no such word? I can hardly believe that NO ONE noticed it. Do they know how stupid it makes them sound? Do they think the American public is stupid? That we wouldn't notice? Please, again!
So. I don't buy Gain Detergent now, but if I was in the market for a new detergent I wouldn't buy for a company that assumes I am too stupid to notice the ridiculous flaw in their advertising. Judging from the fact that it has been running quite a time, they have no intention of fixing the problem.
I shudder to think it is because no one has noticed????...hmmm. Maybe I need to write a letter. It would be a "gooder" thing to do, and save my blood pressure!
BTW...as I spell checked this post the only word that came up wrong was "gooder" and there was NO suggestions...gee.

1 comment:

  1. Don't EVEN get me started on the lack of properly written or spoken English grammar in the media! If I was not an English teacher, I would care just as adamantly. We must continue to stand our ground and remain bastions of knowledge in preserving the last vestiges of properly spoken/written English.

    ReplyDelete